No one wants to believe that their roof is leaking; but the sooner a leaky roof is caught, the less damage it can do. Water will always follow the path of least resistance, and those pathways can take it behind walls, through ceilings, and into any part of your home. Don’t delay if you suspect a leaky roof. Call Oklahoma City roofing contractors immediately to have your roof inspected and repaired or replaced. Find out about where to look for leaks in your home so you can decide whether or not you need to make that call.
There are certain telltale signs of a leaking roof that should never be ignored. Here are some of the warning signs that should have you reaching for the phone immediately:
• Water stains on ceiling. If you are seeing water stains on the ceiling then there is no doubt that you have leak somewhere in the roof.
• Paint that starts peeling and bubbling. Water can find its way between the paint and the Sheetrock. When this happens, the bond will fail and the paint will come off the wall.
There are some signs of a leaky roof that are also indications of other problems. Either way, these should be investigated:
• Puddles of water around the furnace. If you find a puddle of water around the furnace that is not coming from pipes anywhere, it could be coming from around the chimney on the roof.
• Doors that start sticking. As the roof leaks, the water may follow along studs and joists, eventually settling on the top of a doorway. As this wood swells and expands, the door can start to stick. Check in the attic above the door to see if there is any sign of water damage in the area.
There are also less subtle signs of a leaking roof that should not be ignored. While these may not show the damage inside the house, they are early warning signs that can help you prevent the damage from happening in the first place.
• Check the attic. In addition to any signs of water damage on the insulation or boards, you are also checking for wet roof decking. The roof decking should never be wet and the nails should not show signs of rust stains extending down the decking.
• View the shingles from the ground using binoculars. If any shingles are damaged, curled or missing; those could be potential entry points for water. While they may not be causing a breach in protection yet, they will eventually allow the water to work its way through.
Call Robbins Roofing Inc. for a roof inspection to determine if you need a new roof. You can also visit us on Facebook. When you suspect a leaky roof, don’t trust the security of your home to just anyone, call the company with more than 60 years of experience.