Water stains on your ceiling can result from several different problems with the roof. A roofing company in Oklahoma City will determine what the problem is and take care of it. Here are the top ten roofing problems that may be compromising your roof’s ability to protect your home.
- Missing shingles – Shingles need to attach firmly to each other, creating a water-proof seal. If the shingles are not properly installed, wind can cause them to lift and even blow off the house completely.
- Loose flashing – The flashing has to be properly attached to the house, or water will simply work its way behind it. Valleys must also be properly installed to prevent water from seeping under shingles and into your home.
- Gutters – Clogged gutters will not divert the water to the proper area. It can back up under your shingles or overflow the sides and cause foundation problems.
- Missing granules – Dark streaks on your roof aren’t just unattractive. They are also an indication that the protective granules are wearing away, leaving the shingles less able to protect your home from water.
- Tree branches – Trees add interest to the landscaping, but trees that are close to the house may pose a problem for the roof. Always keep trees trimmed so the branches do not overhang the roof.
- Attic ventilation – The problem with your roof could be occurring from the inside out. A poorly ventilated attic will become incredibly hot in the summer, baking your shingles from underneath and lowering their water-proofing ability.
- Ice dams – When snow melts on the roof in cold weather and doesn’t make it to the gutter, an ice dam can form. These dams cause the melting snow to work its way under shingles and into your home.
- Lack of maintenance – Problems usually start small and expand into major issues over time. Avoid a leaky roof by making an investment in your roof and having it inspected annually.
- Chimneys – Most houses have at least one for the furnace, and they are notorious for having problems with the flashing. They have to be flashed perfectly, and they can sag or buckle over time, creating gaps in the flashing.
- Walls – Every spot where a wall rises out of the roof is a potential leak site. Walls have to be flashed properly and checked annually to ensure that the flashing is still in top condition.
Here at Robbins Roofing, Inc., we can help you avoid these problems with your roof. Our experienced roofers will make the repairs that are needed or provide you with a quality roof replacement. To learn more about our services, visit us on Facebook.