Lead based paint has proven to be a harmful substance over the years. Time has become the key tool of lead based paint’s dangerous side effects. Over time, lead based paint breaks down, creating harmful lead dust that when ingested causes serious harm to the body. Time is also against us. The longer the exposure to lead dust, the more harmful it is to the body.
Deteriorated lead based paint exposure has been responsible for mild nervous system damage to severe and sometimes fatal organ failure. The kidneys, among other organs, have proven to be particularly sensitive to the dangers of lead dust. Research has shown that the lead dust can severely stunt a child’s development and that it can harm sexual development later in life.
Exposure to this substance should be avoided at all times. If your home is older and you are concerned with lead based paint being present in the home, please contact a local contractor certified to handle the paint.