Taking care of your home’s roof is one of, if not the most important part of responsible home owning. There’s a reason we talk about keeping a roof over your family’s heads.
There are so many issues that can go wrong with your residential roofing, and if you’re not careful, you can end up spending tens of thousands of dollars on repairs and could even get someone seriously injured.
Here are some of the most common residential roofing issues and tips for spotting them in time to take action:
- Not Keeping Up With Maintenance — On average, a roof that is only maintained after problems happen only lasts around 13 years. Some wooden roofing is set to last around 30 years, but when properly maintained and protected from weather conditions, it could last much longer. You should have your roof inspected at least twice a year by a professional roofing company and maintain proper roofing maintenance year round.
- Leaks — If your roof was not installed properly, you’re at a much greater chance of experiencing leaks. Moisture buildup and leaks, however, can affect even the strongest of roofs after weather-related damage, so it’s important to get these issues taken care of as soon as they are discovered. If a proper moisture barrier was not installed underneath the walls, more leaking could occur.
- Shrinkage — Single-ply roofs are in danger of shrinkage deterioration. Because of surface cracking, the roof could eventually start to deteriorate and create many serious and dangerous problems.
- Blow-Offs — Hot bituminous roofs that were not properly installed with flashing may experience open laps and seams that will lead to blow-offs, code issues, and decreased puncture resistance. Faulty installations can cause serious problems on your roof, so it’s imperative that you consult with experienced and professional residential roofing companies on any roofing project.
- Ridging, Splitting and Blistering — Small blisters are (usually) harmless; however, if you notice any significant size blisters or ridges, you should get those repaired immediately. Blistering is caused by dry laps and incorrect attachment of hot bituminous roof systems.
Roofing care is extremely important not just for beginner homeowners, but for the experienced property owner who has lived under the same roof for decades. If properly maintained, regularly inspected, and worked on by residential roofing professionals, you and your family should not have to worry about any dangerous roofing problems.
If you are in need or some roofing solutions in Oklahoma City, contact Robbins Commercial Roofing right away!