Owning a home is expensive, but it won’t break your budget so long as you’re careful. If you don’t take proper care of every aspect of your home, you could end up spending thousands of dollars every few months on repairs. That’s especially true here in the Midwest, where heavy winds and ice are inevitable.
While every part of your home performs an important function, it’s usually the roof that experiences the most wear and tear on a regular basis. That’s why it’s so important to keep an eye on everything in and around your home and take the necessary steps to prevent roof damage.
Your roof is one of the most important parts of your home’s structure. It’s pretty obvious if you think about it, but so many homeowners forget about maintaining proper roof maintenance and end up paying for it down the line. Fortunately, you don’t have to be a roofing contractor or DIY expert to start taking care of your home’s exterior. Here are a few roofing solutions you can put into practice right away to ensure roof safety. Even better, these solutions can also save you some money.
- Regularly Perform Inspections — You should have your roof inspected at least once or twice a year. If you only wait until the damage actually occurs, you’re going to end up spending way more on repairs. Typically, the lifespan of a roof that is only maintained reactively is about 13 years. If you take care of your roof, however, it’ll last much longer.
- Stay Off the Roof — No matter how strong your roof is, you can still damage it by walking around on it. The roof, believe it or not, should be used to shield you from nature, not as a walking surface. Not only can you damage your roof, you can damage yourself. So many homeowners end up in the emergency room every year with broken ankles after performing DIY roof inspections.
- Be Aware of Trees — It’s important that you make sure no tree limbs are touching your roof at any time. Even if they look harmless now, you don’t want broken tree limbs falling onto the roof. Even having the branches brushing against the shingles or protective coating can cause damage, while also allowing pests easy access to your home’s attic and crawlspaces.
- Purchase Strong Roofing — One of the better roofing solutions is to purchase higher-quality roofing in the first place. When the time to build or replace finally comes, make sure you invest in the best roofing solutions available. Asphalt shingles, for example, typically last about 20 years. Higher-quality asphalt shingles, however, can last up to 50 years.
- Get Professional Assistance — To ensure proper performance and prevent any future damages from happening, contact professionals who are experienced in providing the best roofing solutions to their clients.
If you need assistance with any roof-related problems here in Oklahoma City, contact Robins Commercial Roofing today!