There are many things that can go wrong with your roof as the years march by. Here are a few of the most common roofing problems that you might want to watch for. Knowing what to watch for will help you catch problems and get them fixed before they turn into major problems.
1. Shingles may blow away in storms. It can happen even with the highest quality installations. Look at your roof when you’re arriving home. Walk around the home and examine the roof from the ground after big storms. The sooner a missing shingle is discovered, the faster you can get a professional roofing company on the scene to make the necessary roof repair.
2. Blistering happens from the inside out. When the attic is not properly ventilated, the temperatures in the attic rise, creating an incredible amount of heat under the shingles. Combined with the sun beating down on the outside, the shingles can start to blister, a condition that indicates the shingles are seriously compromised.
3. Dark streaks running down the shingles are not just unsightly discoloration. They are an indication that the protective granules off the shingles are washing away. Neglecting this situation can result in water stains on ceiling as the shingles are now compromised and will not be as watertight.
4. Flashing can wear down over the years. The regular expansion and contraction may result in cracks and tears in the metal flashing, or it will simply pull away from the chimney or wall it’s supposed to protect. This condition can’t be seen from the ground, but it will leave you at risk for a leaky roof. Have your roof inspected on a regular basis by a professional roofer to ensure that your flashing is still holding tight.
5. Hail disrupts the protective granules on your roof. It can cause them to wash away. As the asphalt is compressed by the pounding damage of hail the roof will lose its ability to keep the water out. The leaks may not occur immediately, but the shingles will eventually leak. Call for an experienced roofer to inspect your home after a hail storm and let them advise you about the extent of the damage.
Robbins Roofing, Inc., is a professional roofing company in Oklahoma City. We offer free quotes on roofing and are happy to handle regular inspections of your roof to ensure that it’s still healthy and functional. Visit us on Facebook to learn more about our services and experience.