Just as the wood casings of windows should be inspected and the driveway should be kept clear of weeds and grass, there are certain steps that should be taken to preserve your roof. When closing down the yard after the warm weather and preparing for the cooler months, many people are so busy focusing on the gardens, grass and patio equipment that they neglect the roof. But there are some steps that should be taken to prepare your roof for winter and help keep it protecting your house longer. Taking these steps will help your existing roof last longer so you won’t need a new roof.
1. Cleaning the gutters really does matter. When debris builds up and blocks downspouts, a perfect storm is created. It will only be a matter of time before the dammed water backs up under your shingles, through the roof deck and into your home. Don’t wait for telltale water stains on ceiling. Clean those gutters in the fall to prevent the problem.
2. Check the valleys. These areas where two roof lines meet are some of the top offenders for causing leaks. It’s not recommended for homeowners to go on the roof themselves, but we will clean the valleys as part of our annual roof inspection and maintenance program.
3. Fix the ventilation in the attic. The attic must have proper ventilation to ensure that snow does not build up to excessive levels on the roof. Part of most roof inspections by qualified Oklahoma City roofers will include a thorough inspection of and recommendations for attic ventilation.
4. Start the inspections in early fall. Don’t wait for the freezing weather to set in before you think about the roof.
5. While using a pair of binoculars and standing on the ground, scan the roof for missing, curled or torn shingles. Replacing shingles is a relatively straightforward job that can be done by a high quality roofer. The sooner you call to have missing shingles replaced, the healthier and stronger your roof will be.
6. Call for a roof inspection. A professional roofing company knows exactly what to look for and can take care of any problems. The more frequently you check the roof and the sooner you call about problems, the stronger you will be able to keep your roof.
Robbins Roofing is a reputable roofing company with years of experience. Look for us on Facebook to learn more about the services we offer and how you can extend the life of your roof with some basic maintenance.