While lead based paint, more accurately deteriorated lead based paint, has proven to be a dangerous substance, its truly harmful effects have unfortunately been seen in children. When lead based paint breaks down, it produced lead dust that when ingested causes severe damage to the body. Depending on the extent of time exposed and the amount ingested, the harmful effects can range from relatively mild to severe and life threatening.
Children exposed to lead based paint have been known to suffer from stunted growth, kidney failure, and nervous system damage. A breakdown of the nervous system causes growth and development to cease to function properly and can cause failure to several major organs, such as the kidneys. It is important to have your home, especially if is an older home, inspected by a certified lead based paint containment professional to avoid serious harm to your children.