Lead based paint has been getting more and more dangerous in recent years due to its toxicity becoming more potent the older the paint gets. The lead dust that is inhaled or ingested becomes harmful. The older the paint, the more the dust. Below are three problems with lead based paint we are facing today.
1. Health – The number one problem is the actual problem, that lead based paint is harmful to the body. Lead based paint has been related to kidney failure, nervous system damage, stunted development, and other health-related issues.
2. Amount – Lead based paint was used often throughout the 1900s. Because of this, there are large amounts of it still out there. Because the product was so effective as a paint option, it was quite popular a long time ago, and as such is still inside of many homes and commercial structures.
3. Knowledge – Lead based paint is becoming a problem that the public is more aware of, but because so many homes have been renovated, many people are forgetting that it could be a potential problem. Also, being able to identify and resolve the problem continues uncertain.
If your home was built before 1978 and you are concerned your home may contain lead based paint, contact a local contractor to inspect your home and prepare any maintenance issues.